Once you have recited you opening duʿā’, you will now recite Sūrah al-Fātiḥah, followed on by a sūrah or a selection of āyāt from the Qur’ān.
A summary of how to recite the Qur’an in your salah:
1. Always recall that you are standing in front of Allah (ʿazza wa jall) and that you are conversing with Him.
2. Recite slowly and beautifully.
3. Reflect on the words you are reciting. Fill your heart with love, hope and fear according to the words you are reciting.
4. When you come across an āyah about mercy, stop and ask Allah for His mercy. When you come across an āyah about punishment, stop and ask Allah’s protection. When you come across an āyah where you can make a duʿā’, stop and ask Allah.
5. Whilst reciting, try to visualise and interact with what you are saying.
6. Alternate between what you recite.
“Know that everything that distracts you from understanding the meaning of your recitation is a whispering of doubt from Shayṭān.” – al-Ghazālī (raḥimahullāh)
Read the more detailed article Recite and Reflect on the Qur’an for how you should recite in ṣalāh.